Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Carrot Apple Salad

There are probably a million versions of carrot apple salad out there. This one is just my "tinkering" with a classic recipe! The orange juice adds a tangy flavor, and has the added benefit of keeping the apples from turning brown.

2-3 carrots, shredded
2-3 apples, chopped
1/2 cup raisins

1/3-1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used regular mayo, but you could also use miracle whip)
1-2 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. honey (optional if using miracle whip, as it is already very sweet)
1/4 tsp cardamom (If you don't have cardamom, you can use cinnamon, allspice, or ginger, but I would suggest just picking one for this dish)

Mix orange juice with mayo one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. It should be smooth, but not completely runny. Stir in spice. Pour over carrots, apples, and raisins in large bowl. Stir to thoroughly coat with dressing.

The final proof will be in serving it this evening, but based on the little taste I had (yeah, I licked the spoon after I mixed it!) I think this will definitely be a keeper!

1 comment:

  1. Kat,
    you might be remembering that Mom was not a fan of carrot Raisin salad and so was always adding things to it!
    Also, I cut my apples and place them IMMEDIATLY into orange juice to prevent browning (since I chop slowly) then drain off the juice to mix with mayo.
    Can hardly wait to taste your dish!

    ReplyDelete